Saturday, July 16, 2011

I versus We

Found this quote about individualism that I really like. It's not unusual to find people who like to use "we" a lot to get what they want but I can't help but wonder how many among the "we"s are willing partners. What's so wrong with being unique and having one's own point of view, even if he or she may be wrong? If one can be proven wrong and learn to accept it, wouldn't that be a much more rewarding process than being branded a "we" and forced to adopt the agenda of the masses?


The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages. | Anthem, Chapter 11

2 comments:

  1. Hello Patty!

    Welcome to being an individualistic soul!

    I am trying to be more "selfish", more "narcissistic", more "self-centred".

    A group of individuals can be we; just as long we don't insist that we must share the same outlook or must agree all the time.

    Some of my best relations are those when we had the most "conflict"! Nothing beats someone who can push me to confront my own self and the lies that I tell myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey SMOL!

    Well said! :D

    Actually, I just resent being pushed around by people who had failed to convince me on their agendas and started using "we" as a way to twist my arm.

    Indeed, I have nothing against a group or resist being part of one. And just like what you had experienced, I too grow beyond what I can learn alone by being part of a fraternity. ;)

    ReplyDelete